Lincolnwood, Morton Grove, Niles, Park Ridge, Skokie
VISTA Meeting Detail
Service Unit 405 Meeting
Wednesday, April 13, 2011 - 7:00 pm
St. John Brebeuf Ministry Center, 8301 Harlem Avenue, Niles
See Meeting Minutes below.
Wednesday, April 13, 2011 - 7:00 pm
St. John Brebeuf Ministry Center, 8301 Harlem Avenue, Niles
Happy Leader and Volunteer Appreciation Day!
- April 22, 2011
- Coincides with Earth Day 2011
- Thank you for your hard work and dedication.
Recognitions and Awards -- Margaret T. (Park Ridge)
- Thank you for all your nominations.
- They have been reviewed and approved by our local task force, and sent to council. Award recipients will be notified.
- Our local recognition committee would like to award our volunteers with their Years of Membership pins. This pin is for years of membership as both a girl and adult, and issued in 5-year increments (5, 10, 15, etc.). (This is different from the Years of Service pin, which recognizes only years of adult service, and is awarded at council luncheons.) If you think you are eligible to receive this pin or know someone else who might be eligible, please complete the appropriate page of the nomination application, or contact Margaret T. (Park Ridge).
- 2011 Adult Recognition Event: Saturday, April 16, 2011 at the White Eagle Banquets in Niles.
Cookie Sale Wrap Up
- Thank you to all the cookie managers, site sale manager and delivery managers, and especially the girls! We had a great cookie sale!
- Unfortunately Service Unit 405 has not yet reached their goal. Girls are encouraged to continue to sell through site sales until May 15, 2011. Troops will earn cash incentives of $ .75 per box. Troops are welcomed to schedule their own site sales through the ebudde system.
- Cookie managers and leader will be notified as soon as incentives are available. This will probably be sometime in May.
Girl Scout Night at the Chicago Sky -- Bryan Van Den Bosch
- The Chicago Sky-- WNBA women’s professional basketball team--is hosting a Girl Scout Night
- Saturday, July 9, 2011 at 7:00 pm
- Allstate Arena, Rosemont, IL
- Chicago Sky vs. Atlanta Dream
- Girl Scout package is $20 per person, which includes a ticket to the game, food voucher, and a commemorative Sky visor and patch.
- Five dollars of every ticket package sold during the regular season will be donated to Girl Scouts of Greater Chicago and Northwest Indiana to support leadership opportunities for the girls.
- Go to www.chicagosky.net and click on the Girl Scout logo.
- Deadline to order, and sit with Service Unit 405, is Sat., June 25. Contact Bryan directly at email@example.com.
- Girls are encouraged to register to follow a member of the Sky’s staff and help run the team’s operations. They may be a co-captain, game stat feeder, film crew assistant, Twitter correspondent, team photographer, half-time performer, public service announcer, Web blogger, ball girl and many other positions.
- Click here to access information on our council’s web site. Program codes range from 1000 to 1023. This is a first come, first served opportunity, so some positions are already closed, but many are still available.
- Incentives are available to troops that sell 50, 75, 100 or 500 tickets. Please contact Bryan for more information.
Registration -- Joyce M. (Niles/Morton Grove)
- Spring registration could not be any easier! No on-line registration! No deposits! Preprinted forms!
- Our local council is working with GSUSA and using a new system for this year’s Spring registration.
- Simply complete the pre-printed form, submit to your Community Registrar with a check or credit card payment. No cash will be accepted.
- Checks are made payable to: GSGCNWI
- Deadline for leaders to submit their paperwork to Community Registration Managers is June 6 (not June 30).
- Community Registration Managers are:
- Joyce M. for Service Unit 405 and Niles/Morton Grove
- Kay S. (from Carpenter School) for Park Ridge. Thank you, Kay, for becoming the new Registration Manager for Park Ridge.
- Susie S. for Skokie/Lincolnwood
- Dues Summary Sheets and Registration Records should be completed. They are in the registration packets.
- Please point out to parents that if they do NOT give permission for their daughter(s) to be photographed, etc., they need to place an X in front of that statement on the registration form. Otherwise, they give their consent.
- Also, please encourage families that are capable to donate to Family Partnership. Leaders are encouraged to give a small presentation to their troop’s parents. Brochures are included in the leader’s packets.
- If any family is seeking financial aid for their daughter(s), place an FA at the top of the form, and do not pay the $12 registration fee.
- Try not to let your parents take the registration forms home. Too often they get misplaced among other important papers. Make some time at a meeting and ask parents to stay and complete the forms.
Leader/Daughter Bowling Event
- A fun-filled morning awaited the leaders and daughters on Saturday, April 16, 2011 at Pinstripes in Northbrook.
- Thank you to Jean C. (Park Ridge) and her committee for planning this event.
Leader Appreciation Celebration
- Leader Appreciation Night is also our Adult Awards & Recognition ceremony and takes place at our last Service Unit 405 meeting of the year.
- Wednesday, May 11, 2011 at 7:00 pm
- St. John Brebeuf Ministry Center, 8301 Harlem Ave., Niles
- Please join Service Unit 405 for this special night to celebrate all your hard work and accomplishments.
- A huge thank you to our hostesses, the girls of Morton Grove’s Cadette Troop #41781, and their leaders Jeannie H. and Kathy G.
- A light supper and dessert will be served.
- RSVPs are requested.
Older Girl Event -- Funtastic Lock-in Event
- This event has been cancelled due to low registration. A minimum of 100 girls were needed to hold this event. Unfortunately only three troops were registered as of the April SU405 meeting. :(
- Saturday, April 30, 2011, from 7 pm to 7 am at the Elk Grove Park District Pavilion.
- Thank you to Barbara M. (Morton Grove), event coordinator, for your efforts.
Camp Anokijig -- Nancy F. (Morton Grove)
- Over 350 people have already registered to attend! We are close to being filled. If you are thinking about going, get your registration in ASAP. No money is needed to register.
- Cabins are filled. Tents are still available. At least one troop volunteer would need to be trained in all three Outdoor Training Modules. [Outdoor Training Module 1 self-study (Discover the Outdoors), Module 2 (Cabin Camping), Module 3 (Tent Camping)]. Click here to download the current Council Training Calendar for Outdoor Training dates.
- If you registered by e-mail, it is time to complete the forms, and submit those to Nancy.
- Include the horseback riding or corral forms, and the wall climbing forms.
- Registration packet are still available on-line in the Events section of our Service Unit 405 (VISTA 5) web site, or by clicking here.
- A non-refundable deposit of $45 per person is needed by May 11, 2011 (the last SU405 meeting).
- Final payment will be due by July 31st.
- Troop trip applications should be submitted to your Community Manager by June 30th (or can be submitted at the May 11th SU405 meeting).
- If you have specific questions about food allergies, please feel free to call the camp directly. Their phone number is in the registration packet.
- Friday, August 19 - Sunday, August 21
- One- and two-night stays are available in tents.
- Cost: $93.50 per person for a two-night stay; $73.00 per person for a one-night stay.
- Horseback trail rides are extra ($17 per person). Girls must be 43" to ride. Corral rides are available for smaller girls.
- The climbing wall will be available at an additional cost, as well.
- Basic cost includes: all meals (prepared by camp staff; served buffet-style), activities (total of 7 during the 2-day weekend).
- Open to all age levels, but some of the activities may not be suitable for Daisies and young Brownies.
- You do not need any money to register. Deposit and balance due dates will be outlined in the registration packet.
- It is best to send in your registration to Nancy via e-mail.
- Troops will need to bring their own First Aider/CPR volunteer; drivers taking girls other than their own daughters must be registered; Safety-wise ratios must be followed; trip applications must be submitted to your Community Manager; at least one volunteer per troop must be camp trained (modules 1 & 2 for cabins; module 3 for tents)
- Just a reminder that there is absolutely no alcohol (beer, wine, etc.) allowed at any time, and no smoking during this event, either.
Finance Report -- Sandy H. (Park Ridge)
- End-of-year financial reports are due to Sandy by June 15.
- Click here to download the Troop Annual Financial Report. (Any of the old forms are still acceptable.)
- You can also find a copy of this report in the 2010 Volunteer Essentials on page 123.
- If your troop is disbanding this year, please submit a Disbanded Troop Form, as well. Click here to download the form.
E-mails and Phone Calls
- Please make every effort to answer your Girl Scout e-mails and phone calls when you receive them. It could be a question about a trip application for an upcoming trip. Or a question about registration from council. Your assistance is greatly appreciated.
Girl Scout Leader Day
- April 22nd is Girl Scout Leader Day.
- Happy Girl Scout Leader and Volunteer Day to each and every one of you. With your hard work and dedication our girls are learning and growing into the future leaders of the world! Thank you!
- Congratulations to all those who won prizes in our monthly meeting raffle.
Thank you for coming to our Service Unit 405 meeting!