Lincolnwood, Morton Grove, Niles, Park Ridge, Skokie
VISTA Meeting Detail
Service Unit 405 Meeting
Wednesday, May 9, 2012 - 7:00 pm
St. John Brebeuf Ministry Center, 8301 Harlem Avenue, Niles
Wednesday, May 9, 2012 - 7:00 pm
St. John Brebeuf Ministry Center, 8301 Harlem Avenue, Niles
Welcome and Thank You!
- This night is for you!
- Thank you to all our Girl Scout leaders and volunteers for all your hard work and dedication.
Leader Appreciation Night
- A great big thank you to the girls of Cadette Troop 40791 and their leaders, Judie E. (Niles) and Michele H. (Skokie) for a wonderful event this evening!
Cookie Sale Wrap Up and Incentives
- We had a GREAT Cookie Sale and could not have done it without everyone’s help and participation!
- A special thank you to the Service Unit 405 Cookie Managers, Community Cookie Managers, Troop Cookie Managers, Delivery Day Cookie Managers and Site Sale Managers for helping to make this Cookie Sale one of the best we’ve ever had!
- And...the entire Girl Scouts of Greater Chicago and Northwest Indiana council met its goal--100%!
- Congratulations to everyone for all your hard work!
- Regarding incentives: We know they’re late, and we apologize. Delivery dates are still unknown. As soon as we receive the incentives, we will let everyone know. Pick up will be at the homes of Chris W. (Park Ridge), Joyce M. (Glenview) and Susie S. (Morton Grove).
- For those girls that earned gift cards: parents need to contact the Vernon Hills Regional Gathering Place [www.girlscoutsgcnwi.org/regional-gathering-places] and go there to pick up their cards.
FOR THOSE TROOPS WHO ARE AWAITING INCENTIVES--THEY ARE READY FOR PICKED UP.
PLEASE CONTACT YOUR COMMUNITY COOKIE MANAGER (CHRIS W. or SUE S. (PARK RIDGE), JOYCE M. (NILES/MORTON GROVE), SUSIE S. (SKOKIE/LINCOLNWOOD).
UNFORTUNATELY, THE POP ART TOTE INITIAL INCENTIVES AND THE GIRAFFE DUFFLE BAG FINAL INCENTIVES ARE ON BACK-ORDER AND WILL NOT BE READY FOR PICKUP UNTIL AFTER JUNE 20. WE WILL NOTIFY YOU WHEN THEY ARE IN WITH PICKUP INSTRUCTIONS.
- REMEMBER, ALL INCENTIVES THAT ARE NOW IN MUST BE PICKED UP ASAP, PER COUNCIL’S INSTRUCTIONS. THOSE THAT ARE NOT PICKED UP BY JUNE 1st WILL BE SENT TO THE VERNON HILLS REGIONAL GATHERING PLACE AND WILL HAVE TO BE PICKED UP THERE.
Planning Ahead for Fall Product Program
- Plan now to participate in the Fall Product Program in September.
- What a great way to start the year earning money for your troop’s service projects and special trips that the girls want to take.
- Ask your parents now to volunteer to act as Fall Product Manager. Then have them complete a Volunteer Application, and get them registered. You will be all set when Fall Product training arrives in September.
- If for some reason your customers’ magazines are still not being delivered in a timely manner, check the back of the pink receipt for contact information. Check your order online at www.aphgirlscouts.com; Customer service number is 1-800-284-9711, Monday - Friday, 8 am - 5 pm; E-mail email@example.com.
- If you are planning on having an additional money-earning activity, you must participate in both the Fall Product Program and the Cookie Sale. A Money Earning Activity Application [www.girlscoutsgcnwi.org/volunteer-resources] must be completed, as well.
Police National Night Out
- All Service Unit 405 troops, leaders and families are invited to the eighth annual National Night Out event in Park Ridge.
- Tuesday, August 7, 2012 at 6:30 pm
- On the front steps of Park Ridge City Hall, 505 Butler Place
- This event is designed to heighten crime and drug prevention awareness; generate support for, and participation in, local anti-crime programs; and send the message to criminals that the police and community are working together and are fighting back against crime.
- Additionally, Girl Scouts will be honored for our 100 years of Girl Scouting!
- We know it’s in the middle of summer, and many troops do not meet, but let’s all try to pack those stairs with Girl Scouts!
- Please have the girls wear their uniforms.
Park Ridge Memorial Day Parade
- Monday, May 28, 2012
- Parade steps off at 10:00 am
- At 9:30 am Girl Scouts should start lining up in front of Roosevelt School on Fairview Ave., just south of Talcott.
- Daisy and Brownie troops are in Position 61, and Juniors and older girls are in Position 62. These positions are at the south end of Fairview, closer to Talcott.
- Girls should be in uniform, and troops may carry banners or flags.
- The parade officials have asked that the Girl Scouts not have any cars.
- Click here to see further information.
- Trip applications should be turned in ASAP.
Niles 4th of July Parade
- Wednesday, July 4, 2012
- Parade steps off at 9:00 am
- At 8:30 am Girls Scouts should assemble in the Notre Dame High School parking lot, 7655 W. Dempster St., at Ozark Ave., Niles. Please look for Judie E. (Niles) or Michael M. (Niles/Morton Grove), as they will be in the Girl Scouts’ spot. Look for the Girl Scout float, as well.
- Click here to see further information.
Registration -- Joyce M. (Niles/Morton Grove), SU405 Registrar
- Some lucky troop that completes their registration by June 23rd will be eligible to be in a drawing to win a $50 pizza party for their troop.
- Please make sure that all registration materials go to your community registrar.
- Joyce M. for Niles/Morton Grove
- Susie S. for Skokie/Lincolnwood
- Kay S. for Park Ridge
- The process, as well as the cost ($12), will be the same as last year.
- Checks and credit cards are accepted. CASH IS NOT ACCEPTED. If one of your families wishes to pay by cash, they must pay your troop; then write a troop check for their registration.
- Leaders will not make any deposits.
- Deadline to return all of your forms and payments is: June 23rd (which is different from the front of the large registration envelope). Forms and payments must be submitted to your Community Registrar. The registrar will then submit to Joyce; who submits to council.
- Don’t forget to register your adults (drivers, product volunteers, first aid/CPR volunteers, meeting helpers).
- PLEASE DO NOT SUBMIT YOUR REGISTRATION DIRECTLY TO COUNCIL. We at the Service Unit 405 level need to know who is registering and how many troops we have.
- If you did not pick up your registration packet at the April Service Unit meeting, please call your community registrar for your packet. Susie S. (Skokie/Lincolnwood) and Kay S. (Park Ridge) still have packets at their house.
- Health cards [www.girlscoutsgcnwi.org/volunteer-resources] are only good for 3 years (and need to be re-signed annually), so if this is the fourth year of your troop, please have each of the girls and parents complete a new health card. These health cards stay with your troop, and are critical to have on file, especially when you take a field trip. You should not leave home without them!
- Use the registration record sheet included in your packet.
- If your troop is disbanding, please let your community registrar know, and complete the Disbanded Troop Form available on-line.
- Last, but VERY IMPORTANT, please consider making a donation to Family Partnership.
Council Update -- Sara N. (Membership Specialist)
- Don’t forget to register for the Inaugural Cookie Classic Timed 5K Race, Walk and Celebration!
- This is the council’s culmination event of the 100th Birthday celebration.
- Saturday, September 8, 2012
- Grant Park, 337 E. Randolph Drive, Chicago
- Race starts at 9:00 am. Expo closes at 5:00 pm.
- This event is open to the public, however you must register.
- Register now! Early registration deadline: June 2, 2012 (includes a t-shirt).
- Costs vary from $11 to $31, depending on activity.
- Click here [www.girlscoutsgcnwi.org/cookie-classic-5K] to see more information at www.girlscoutsgcnwi.org and to register for this event.
- SAVE THE DATE: Learn to Lead, September 21-22, 2012
- Camp Butternut Springs, Valparaiso, Indiana
- In one day, you can take Volunteer Essentials in the morning and Grade Level Leader Training in the afternoon. Continue the event with First Aid, Outdoor Cooking and Camping, and lots more.
- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- LEAP [www.girlscoutsgcnwi.org/leader-enrichment] Leader Enrichment Activity Program
- October 5 - 7, 2012
- Camp Juniper Knoll, East Troy, Wisconsin
- Register on-line [register.girlscoutsgcnwi.org/] . Full weekend, use code 6319; Saturday only, use code 6320. Early registration, use codes 6317 and 6318.
- NASA Summer of Innovation (in collaboration with GreenApple Campus [www.greenapplecamps.com/])
- DePaul University Naperville and Lincoln Park locations
- Grades 4 to 9
- Two Girl Scout sessions: July 23 - 27; August 6 - 10
- Mention promo code: GirlPower when registering for Girl Scout rate.
- Check it out at www.greenapplecamps.com. Click on Summer of Innovation on the home page.
- My Promise, My Faith
- This is a new program that invites girls in grades K-12 to experience a faith journey through exploration of the Girl Scout Law and teachings from their faith.
- Learn more about this new program at www.girlscouts.org, or by clicking here [www.girlscouts.org/program/basics/faith/].
- Summer camp catalogs are now on-line. Click here [www.girlscoutsgcnwi.org/summer-camp] to download.
- 2012 Survivor Australia
- June 1 - 3, 2012
- Camp River Trails, Sheridan, IL
- Cost: $65 per person
- Register on-line [register.girlscoutsgcnwi.org/] . Code: 1521
- Chicago Sky Girl Scout Night
- June 8, 2012 at 7:30 pm
- Allstate Arena, 6920 Mannheim Road Rosemont, IL
- Celebrate 100 Years of Girl Scouts at the Sears Centre Arena with Service Unit 406
- Sunday, August 12, 2012 at 11 am - 3 pm
- Click here to download the official flier.
- Register on-line [register.girlscoutsgcnwi.org/]. Code: 26049
- A great big thank you to all the leaders who came to our trainings at St. John Brebeuf on April 30, especially the 15 leaders of continuing older girl troops. It is wonderful to see so many girls continuing in Girl Scouts through the higher grades!
- Just a reminder, to be a Girl Scout leader you need to complete a VOLUNTEER APPLICATION with your Social Security number, which allows council to do a background check.
- Three references must be submitted along with this application.
- This information should be submitted directly to council. (See back of form for mailing information.)
- Also, you must complete your Girl Scouting 101 [www.girlscoutsgcnwi.org/adult-learning-opportunities] online training session, Volunteer Essentials (classes, webinar, or homestudy), and your Grade Level Leader Training.
- The new Council Training Calendar [www.girlscoutsgcnwi.org/adult-learning-opportunities] for Spring/Summer 2012 is available on-line by clicking here [www.girlscoutsgcnwi.org/adult-learning-opportunities].
- For those leaders who have taken their first aid training through council, we apologize if you have not yet received your cards. Council is working on providing these cards, and the future goal is to have them available at the end of the training.
Finance Report -- Sandy H. (Park Ridge)
- For those troops whose checking accounts are held at TCF Bank, please forward your name, your school, troop #, and account number to Sandy. Unfortunately, the bank will continue to charge Girl Scout accounts with a $1.95 check imaging fee. Once Sandy has everyone’s information, she will forward it to the bank so they can automatically delete these charges for you each month.
- End-of-year financial reports are due to Sandy by June 15.
- If your school has a school organizer, please send the report to him/her and he/she will send them to Sandy.
- Skokie/Lincolnwood troops: please forward your report to Susie S., who will submit them to Sandy.
- Niles troops from St. John’s, and any other Niles/Morton Grove troops: please forward your report to Michael M., who will submit them to Sandy.
- Everyone else may submit your reports directly to Sandy.
- Forms are available in the 2011 Volunteer Essentials [www.girlscoutsgcnwi.org/volunteer-resources] (page 119) or click here to go to the Events section of our Service Unit 405 web site and download the form.
- Be general about your finances. Council is not looking for a detailed summary. Include money earned from Fall Product and Cookie Sale. If you are holding a large sum of money in your account (over $500), please give an explanation. (Example: upcoming camping trip, trip to Savannah)
Service Unit 405 Co-Manager
- A great big thank you to Karen H. (Park Ridge) for accepting the position of Service Unit 405 Co-Manager. She will be working alongside Sue S. (Park Ridge).
- Please help support Park Ridge Junior troop 40132.
- They will be having a Garage Sale on Saturday, June 2nd from 8 am to 1 pm in Sandy H.’s garage in Park Ridge to earn money for their trip to Juliette Low’s birthplace in Savannah, Georgia in the fall.
- Please help support Niles Senior troop 41006.
- They will be having a Car Wash on Saturday, June 9th in the morning at St. John Brebeuf in Niles to help support their trip to Michigan.
Camp Anokijig Update
- Thank you to Nancy F. (Morton Grove) for all your hard work!
- There is still plenty of space left for more campers. The cabins are filled, but tents are available.
- You will need Module 3 of the Outdoor Training for tent camping (in addition to Modules 1 & 2).
- June 30: final payment, final camper roster, and trip application. No refunds will be made for any cancellations after this date.
- If you are planning a trip with your troop, please remember to turn in your Trip Application [www.girlscoutsgcnwi.org/volunteer-resources] to Sue S. (Park Ridge), Michael M. (Niles/Morton Grove), or Susie S. (Skokie/Lincolnwood).
- If you are going to a council site (i.e. Journey World), you do not need a trip application.
- Please try to turn them in at least 2 weeks before you plan on going on your trip. Trip applications must be signed. Applications will not be accepted without a signature.
- Before you go on your trip, you need to check the safety guidelines for girl-to-adult ratios and other activity-specific information. Unfortunately, Safety-Wise is no longer available in print. The information can now be found in the Volunteer Essentials 2011 booklet and the Safety Activity Checkpoints. Updated information can be found in the Quick Start Guide on pages 11-14, and in Chapter 4. Click here [www.girlscoutsgcnwi.org/volunteer-resources] to download Volunteer Essentials 2011, or click here [www.girlscoutsgcnwi.org/safety-activity-checkpoints] to see the safety requirements for specific activities. The old Safety-Wise booklet is outdated!
- Make sure that the information for any adult who drives any scout besides their own daughter(s) is added to the application. This is no longer optional information. Drivers do not need to be certified in First Aid and CPR. They do need to carry permission slips and medical cards for any girl in their car.
- The emergency person on the application is NOT the leader. Someone who is not going on the field trip should be your emergency person. That person should have a list of everyone attending the trip, and emergency phone numbers for those attending.
- Best practice: Take your First Aid/CPR volunteer with you on your trip. A copy of their CPR and First Aid cards should be on file with your community partner, as well as nurse’s license and paramedic’s certification, if applicable. A minimum of one First Aider/CPR volunteer is needed per trip.
- According to Illinois law, car seats are required for Daisies and some Brownies (8-year-olds and younger).
Morton Grove Farmers’ Market
- Looking for a new activity to do on Saturday mornings this summer?
- Visit the Morton Grove Farmers’ Markt at their new location, 6210 Dempster St., between the Civic Center and Harrer Pool.
- For complete information about hours and special events, visit their site at www.mgfarmersmarket.com
- Awards Presentations
- Congratulations to those leaders and volunteers who were recognized for their dedication to Girl Scouting!
- A great big thank you to each and every one of our Girl Scout leaders and volunteers for all your hard work and dedication!
- Our awards and recognitions were presented by Margaret T. (Park Ridge), Chris W. (Park Ridge) and Sue S. (Park Ridge).
Thank you for a great year! Have a safe summer.