Lincolnwood, Morton Grove, Niles, Park Ridge, Skokie
VISTA Meeting Detail
Service Unit 405 Meeting
Wednesday, April 11, 2012 - 7:00 pm
St. John Brebeuf Ministry Center, 8301 Harlem Avenue, Niles
Wednesday, April 11, 2012 - 7:00 pm
St. John Brebeuf Ministry Center, 8301 Harlem Avenue, Niles
Happy Leader & Volunteer Appreciation Day! -- April 22, 2012
- Happy Girl Scout Leader and Volunteer Appreciation Day to each and every one of you. It is because of your hard work and dedication that our girls are learning to become the future leaders of the world! Thank You!
- Welcome and thank you for coming to our Service Unit 405 meeting.
- We missed the March meeting due to all of the 100th Birthday celebrations.
- Just as a reminder, we are now known as Service Unit 405. VISTA, SUVA and other creative words are no longer used; however when you write your checks for Camp Anokijig, please make them payable to VISTA 5, as we have not changed the name on our checking account.
100th Birthday Celebrations Wrap Up
- Thank you to Sandy H. (Park Ridge) and Karen H. (Park Ridge) for all of their incredible efforts in planning the 100th Birthday party at the White Eagle and the Promise Circle in Golf Mill. Both events were incredible successes and great fun for all those who participated.
- Thank you to Judie E. (Niles) for her public relations efforts and getting our picture into various news medias around our communities.
Recognitions and Awards -- Margaret T. (Park Ridge)
- Thank you for all of your nominations.
- Council Recognition Luncheon will be held on Saturday, April 21, 2012 from 11:00 am to 3:00 pm at the White Eagle Banquets, 6839 N. Milwaukee, Niles. Cost is $27 per person. On-line registration [register.girlscoutsgcnwi.org/] code: 6313. There are still a few openings available.
- If you have already registered for this event and are planning to go, please let Margaret know so that she can save you a seat at the table.
- Some of our Service Unit 405 members will be receiving awards, including Michael M. (Niles/Morton Grove) who will be receiving the Appreciation Pin for all of his work. A former Park Ridge Service Unit member, Martha, will be earning the Woman of the Century award to be given only this year. And Judie E. (Niles) will be earning her 40 Years of Service pin. Congratulations to Michael, Martha and Judie.
- Other members may be receiving their Years of Service pin for their adult years of service (in 5 year increments). If you think you should be receiving this pin, please let Margaret know ASAP.
Cookie Sale Wrap Up
- The entire Girl Scouts of Greater Chicago and Northwest Indiana council met its goal--100%!
- Thank you to all the cookie managers, leaders, and especially the girls for all your hard work in helping our Service Unit 405 and our council reach our goal. We had the BEST cookie sale ever!
- A very special thank you to the Service Unit 405 cookie team--Chris W. (Park Ridge), Sue S. (Park Ridge), Joyce M. (Niles/Morton Grove), Susie S. (Skokie/Lincolnwood), Chris R. (Skokie), Barbara M. (Morton Grove), Jennifer M. (Park Ridge), and Allison B. (Park Ridge).
- Delivery dates for incentives are still unknown. As soon as we receive the incentives, we will let everyone know.
Council News and Updates -- Sara N. (Membership Specialist)
- The culmination of the 100th Birthday celebration will be the Inaugural Cookie Classic Timed 5K Race, Walk and Celebration!
- Saturday, September 8, 2012
- Grant Park, 337 E. Randolph Drive, Chicago
- Race starts at 9:00 am. Expo closes at 5:00 pm.
- This event is open to the public, however you must register.
- Register now! Early registration deadline: June 2, 2012 (includes a t-shirt).
- Costs vary from $11 to $31, depending on activity.
- Click here [www.girlscoutsgcnwi.org/cookie-classic-5K] to see more information at www.girlscoutsgcnwi.org and to register for this event.
- A word of thanks from Morton Grove Cadette Troop 41781
- Tonight’s meeting began with a presentation from these Cadettes who just completed their Silver Award project. Their project focused on the homeless and the impact they have on our community. Their donations supported Hilda’s Place, a homeless shelter in Evanston for single men and women. It provides overnight shelter to 34 adults and is open 365 days a year. It also provides meals and assists these men and women in their transition to independence.
- Great job, girls!
- Other girls in troop 41781 working on their Silver Award projects include girls who started a singing group and are performing around the community. They were the girls who led everyone at our Promise Circle.
- Build-a-Bear [www.buildabear.com/] is offering a 100th Anniversary Girl Scout bear for a limited time.
- Bears are not available on-line at the Build-a-Bear website. You must reserve a party now for a date after June 5th, and request the GS bear and/or outfits. However, there is no guarantee that you will get them. Build-a-bear is working with their manufacturers to insure that these products are available, however they did not anticipate the incredible demand for these bears. Other bears and outfits will be available for your girls at a party.
- Please call the Woodfield store at 847-517-4155 to book a party. COI is on file with council.
- Park Ridge Junior troop 40132 will be having a Garage Sale on Saturday, June 2nd from 8 am to 1 pm at Sandy H.’s home in Park Ridge to earn money for their trip to Juliette Low’s birthplace in Savannah, Georgia in the fall. (Sandy’s troop participated in both Fall Product and Cookie Sale, which allows them to participate in additional fund-raising activities. A Money Earning Activity Application [www.girlscoutsgcnwi.org/volunteer-resources] must be completed, as well.)
- One of our Junior troops is participating in a habitat restoration project by pulling a specific weed in their community. They are trying to coax a specific breed of butterfly back to the local area.
- For more information on butterflies, you may want to contact The Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum [www.naturemuseum.org/] and see what programs they have available.
- Also, The Grove [glenviewparks.org/index.php/facilities-parks/the-grove] in Glenview has restoration work days [glenviewparks.org/index.php/facilities-parks/the-grove/get-involved] scheduled for May 26 and June 23 to remove non-native, invasive plants.
- Niles Senior troop 41006 will be having a Car Wash on Saturday, June 9th in the morning at St. John Brebeuf in Niles to help support their trip to Michigan.
Registration -- Joyce M. (Niles/Morton Grove), SU405 Registrar
- Community Registrars:
- Joyce M. for Niles/Morton Grove
- Susie S. for Skokie/Lincolnwood
- Kay S. for Park Ridge
- Registration for the 2012-2013 year has begun. Please try to complete your registration now, and do not wait until the fall, which can be a very hectic time for most troops.
- The process, as well as the cost ($12), will be the same as last year.
- Checks and credit cards are accepted. CASH IS NOT ACCEPTED. If one of your families wishes to pay by cash, they must pay your troop; then write a troop check for their registration.
- Leaders will not make any deposits.
- Deadline to return all of your forms and payments is: June 23rd (which is different from the front of the large registration envelope). Forms and payments must be submitted to your Community Registrar. The registrar will then submit to Joyce; who submits to council.
- Don’t forget to register your adults (drivers, product volunteers, first aid/CPR volunteers, meeting helpers).
- PLEASE DO NOT SUBMIT YOUR REGISTRATION DIRECTLY TO COUNCIL. We at the Service Unit 405 level need to know who is registering and how many troops we have.
- If you did not pick up your registration packet at the April Service Unit meeting, please call your community registrar for your packet.
- Health cards are only good for 3 years (and need to be re-signed annually), so if this is the fourth year of your troop, please have each of the girls and parents complete a new health card. These health cards stay with your troop, and are critical to have on file, especially when you take a field trip. You should not leave home without them!
- Use the registration record sheet included in your packet.
- If your troop is disbanding, please let your community registrar know, and complete the Disbanded Troop Form available on-line.
- Last, but VERY IMPORTANT, please consider making a donation to Family Partnership.
Leader/Volunteer Appreciation Night
- A huge thank you to our hosts for the evening--Cadette Troop 40791 and their leaders, Judie E. (Niles) and Michele H. (Skokie).
- Wednesday, May 9, 2012 at 7:00 pm
- St. John Brebeuf Ministry Center, 8301 Harlem, Niles
- Please join us to celebrate all of your hard work and accomplishments!
- This is a fun evening where you can visit and chat with your old and new friends.
- Click here to download the invitation and please R.S.V.P. to Judie by May 1st. We do need a count so that we can order dinner. Please put "Girl Scouts" in the subject line so that Judie’s husband does not delete your e-mail!
Girl Scout Memories at the Park Ridge Library
- In honor of the 100th Birthday, Margaret T. (Park Ridge) has secured a display cabinet at the Park Ridge library for the month of October for our Service Unit.
- The case measures 25 feet wide and has 3 shelves, and we need your help in filling it with Girl Scout memorabilia.
- Anything of historic significance, such as uniforms, handbooks, dolls, mugs, books, etc.
- Margaret does not actually need your items until August, but if you would like to bring them to her now, she will create a log to keep track of your items and keep them safe until October.
- Please contact Margaret if you would like to lend your items.
Financial Reports -- Sandy H. (Park Ridge)
- End-of-year financial reports are due to Sandy by June 15.
- Forms are available in the 2011 Volunteer Essentials [www.girlscoutsgcnwi.org/volunteer-resources] (page 119) or click here to go to the Events section of our Service Unit 405 web site and download the form.
- Be general about your finances. Council is not looking for a detailed summary. Include money earned from Fall Product and Cookie Sale. If you are holding a large sum of money in your account (over $500), please give an explanation. (Example: upcoming camping trip, trip to Savannah)
- For those troops whose checking accounts are held at TCF Bank, Cindy is no longer at the bank. Erica is available on Saturday mornings. Sandy is working on securing a new contact.
- If you are still being charged a check imaging fee of $1.95 per check, please contact Sandy. Girl Scouts should not be charged this fee. Sandy will help you in getting these charges reversed.
Camp Anokijig Update -- Nancy F. (Morton Grove)
- We currently have 11 troops registered. Some cabins are still available, although not many.
- You are strongly encouraged to get your registration in ASAP!
- All of the forms are available on-line.
- Camp dates are Friday, August 24 - Sunday, August 26, 2012
- When delivering forms to Nancy’s home, please call or e-mail to let Nancy know that you will be delivering something to her. Do NOT put your forms in her regular mailbox. The postal carrier may remove it. There is a separate Girl Scout box between her doors.
Dates to remember:
- April 30: a deposit of $45 per camper paid by troop check (made payable to: VISTA 5), and the April Confirmation*, including the training verification (copy of license, training card, or certification) for your first aid and camp-trained adult.
- (*This is a new form found on the last page of the Troop Registration packet.)
- June 30: final payment, final camper roster, and trip application. No refunds will be made for any cancellations after this date.
Outdoor Training (for camping)
- Outdoor Module 1 -- this is a self-study training, and a pre-requisite for Outdoor Modules 2 & 3.
- Outdoor Module 2 -- this is for anyone going camping, specifically sleeping in cabins. This is a pre-requisite for Outdoor Module 3.
- Outdoor Module 3 -- additional training for those sleeping in tents.
- DRINKING ALCOHOL OF ANY KIND IS PROHIBITED! According to the Girl Scout Safety Guidelines "Role-model the right behavior. Never use illegal drugs. Don’t consume alcohol, smoke, or use foul language in the presence of girls." Please do not jeopardize our use of Camp Anokijig for future Girl Scouts.
- The new Council Training Calendar [www.girlscoutsgcnwi.org/adult-learning-opportunities] for Spring/Summer 2012 is available on-line by clicking here.
- Trainings at St. John Brebeuf on Monday, April 30, 2012 from 6:30 - 9:30 pm are available for on-line registration [register.girlscoutsgcnwi.org/] for:
- Daisy--Program code: 1146
- Brownie--Program code: 1250
- Junior--Program code: 1338
- Cadette, Senior & Ambassador--Program code: not available. Please contact Sue S. to let her know if you are interested.
Park Ridge Memorial Day Parade
- Monday, May 28, 2012.
- Click here to see further information.
Niles Fourth of July Parade
- Wednesday, July 4, 2012
- Click here to see further information.
- Summer camp catalogs are now on-line. Click here [www.girlscoutsgcnwi.org/summer-camp] to download.
- Cabinet Members and School Organizers
- To all of the Service Unit Cabinet members: Sue S. wants you! You are automatically volunteered to serve our Service Unit for another year. :) If for some reason you need to resign, please let Sue know via e-mail. Don’t forget to put "Girl Scouts" in the subject line.
- To all of our School Organizers: please let Sue S. know if you are going to continue in your position next year. For those schools that do not have a school organizer, please think about stepping up to take on that position. Larger schools may even want two organizers to share the responsibility.
Thanks for coming to our Service Unit 405 meeting!