Lincolnwood, Morton Grove, Niles, Park Ridge, Skokie
VISTA Meeting Detail
VISTA 5 Meeting
Wednesday, April 14, 2010 - 7:00 pm
St. John Brebeuf Ministry Center, 8301 Harlem Avenue, Niles
- Welcome! And thank you to those leaders and adult volunteers who came to the VISTA 5 meeting.
- Please sign in on your community sign-in sheet, under your school; and make a name tag for yourself.
- Please sign up for our raffle.
- How can we increase attendance at our VISTA 5 meetings? This year has been better than last year (not great, but better!). There are 200 troops in our VISTA and 500 leaders. If you have any suggestions how to encourage more leaders and adult volunteers to attend and increase the attendance at our VISTA 5 meetings, please let Sue S. (VISTA 5 Manager) know.
Recognitions and Awards -- Margaret T. (Park Ridge)
VISTA 5 Adult Recognitions
- Thank you to everyone for sending in your nominations and endorsements.
- Please come to our May 12, 2010 VISTA 5 meeting and Awards Recognition Night when our local awards will be given.
Council Adult Recognition Luncheon
- Saturday, April 24, 2010
- White Eagle Banquets, 6839 N. Milwaukee, Niles
- Cost: $27
- Registration at the event begins at 11:00 am; lunch and program are from 12 Noon - 3:00 pm.
- You must pre-register for this luncheon prior to the event. Click here for a link to this event. Registration deadline had been extended to April 19th. If you are interested in going, please contact council to see about availability.
- If you are planning on attending, please let Margaret know.
- Also, if you believe that you or any of your adult volunteers should be receiving a Service Pin for a 5-year increment of adult services, please contact Margaret. She has a list of volunteers that may be eligible to receive their award.
Cookie Sale Wrap Up
- Cookie sale has been extended until April 30, 2010.
- If you are interested in selling more cookies, and increasing your troop’s profit (at 75¢ per box), please contact your Community Cookie Manager or the Vernon Hills Regional Service Center. You have to go up to Vernon Hills to get the cookies. These cookes will not be delivered to our communities.
- Incentives should be available by the May 12, 2010 VISTA 5 meeting.
- VISTA 5 Cookie Managers: Cathy K. (Park Ridge) and Jessica R. (Skokie)
- Park Ridge Cookie Manager: Cathy K.
- Niles/Morton Grove Cookie Manager: Joyce M.
- Skokie/Lincolnwood Cookie Manager: Susie S.
Brownie Day Update -- Jennifer M. (Park Ridge)
- Deadline for Brownie Day registration is June 5, 2010.
- Brownies are invited to attend the Sunday, July 18, 2010 Schaumburg Flyers Scout Day.
- Stadium opens at 11:50 am; game time is 1:20 pm.
- Cost: $10 per Girl Scout and $8 per adult
- There are pre-game activities, including a parade around the warming track, as well as activites that happen throughout the entire game. If you have never been to a Schaumburg Flyers game, it is great fun!
- Click here to see more details for this event, and to download the official event flier.
- Sharing Time has been renamed Good News From the Troops!
- This is a great opportunity to share with our VISTA a great trip, craft, service project, etc. that your troop has done.
- Thank you to those leaders who shared their great ideas.
- The Grove National Historic Landmark [www.glenviewparks.org/The-Grove/The-Grove.htm] in Glenview is a great place for a nature hike or overnighter.
- All on the Road Catering [www.allontheroad.com/] (114 Main St., Park Ridge, 847-518-8958, www.allontheroad.com) has a great 1-hour program where the girls can make their own pizza and decorate their own cookie, and then take the food home.
Information from Council
- Trip and Travel Application forms are new and can be accessed in the Forms [www.girlscoutsgcnwi.org/just-for-volunteers/forms/] section of www.girlscoutsgcnwi.org web site. Name of drivers and their insurance carrier are requested (not the account number).
- If you are in need of the Girl Scout Tax Exempt Letter, please click here to download the letter.
- Girl Scout Daisy Grade Level Leadership Essentials [www.girlscoutsgcnwi.org/trainings/daisy-leadership-essentials/] training is on-line.
- Additional fund raising events are allowed only if the troop/group has participated in both the Fall Product and Cookie Sale programs. Advertising fund raising events for specific organizations is discouraged, however troops/groups may donate money to any charity of their choice.
- Training by Request: Training classes can be organized in our community with a minimum of 8 participants. Please contact Sue S. (VISTA 5 Manager) for assistance in organizing a class.
- The Spring/Summer 2010 Training Calendar was distributed in the Early Registration packets. If you did not receive one, please contact your Community Registration Manager (MG/N--Joyce M.; PR--Jennifer M.; S/L--Susie S.).
- Leadership Development Pin: this is an earned recognition that recognizes adult troop leaders, co-leaders and assistant leaders who demonstrate competence, continuous improvement and participate in training in areas that will increase their skills in working with girls. Volunteers must meet the criteria outlined in the Spring/Summer 2010 Training Calendar, page 28-30.
- Outdoor Enrichment at Camp Pokanoka, Ottawa, IL, May 1-2, 2010: This is an exciting adult weekend for you to relax, learn and have fun. This weekend satisfies your requirement for Outdoor Training Modules 2 & 3. Registration information is included in the Spring/Summer 2010 Training Calendar, page 16.Registration deadline is April 22, 2010. Click here ASAP to download the registration packet
- Let’s Go Camping Camporee "Survivor Style" is June 11-13, 2010 at Camp Juniper Knoll, East Troy, WI. This weekend satisfies your requirement for Outdoor Training Modules 2 & 3. Registration information is included in the Spring/Summer 2010 Training Calendar, page 19.
- L.E.A.P. 2010 at Juniper Knoll, East Troy, WI, October 1-3, 2010: This is a Leader Enrichment Activity Program that provides an opportunity to participate in learning and fun with other Girl Scout adults. (This replaces the former LEO program.) Contact Traci for further information at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Thank you to Cheryl B. (Park Ridge) and her committee for organizing this event.
- 65 people have sent in their registration information to see Peter Pan on May 15, 2010.
- Tickets have already been ordered. If you are interested in attending, please contact Cheryl immediately to see if tickets are still available.
- Thank you to Mary Beth C. (Park Ridge) and her Cadette Troop #1098 for planning this event. They are working very hard, going "above and beyond."
- Wednesday, May 12, 2010 at 7:00 pm at St. John Brebeuf, 8301 N. Harlem Ave., Niles IL
- This is our last VISTA 5 meeting of the year. Please come and bring other adult volunteers from your troop.
- Please R.S.V.P. to Mary Beth. There is no charge for this evening. Click here to see the flier for this evening.
Camp Anokijig Update -- Nancy F. (Morton Grove)
- August 20-22, 2010
- 260 people have already registered (as of the April 14th VISTA 5 meeting). There is space for about another 100 people. More than half of the participants are one-night campers.
- Cabins are filled, but tents are available.
- Trip Applications must be completed and submitted to your Community Manager in July.
- Outdoor Training modules 1 & 2 must be completed. (If you are staying in tents, module 3 must be completed, as well.) Currently, Girls on the Move or Leader Essentials will satisfy the Module 1 requirement.
- Every troop must bring their own First Aid/CPR volunteer.
- Safety-wise guidelines must be followed.
- NO alcohol is allowed.
- A minimum of 120 participants is needed for the climbing wall. As of April 14th, the count was under 100.
- Horseback riding is still available. Girls need to be Juniors and at least 43" tall to take a trail ride.
- The $45 per camper, non-refundable deposit is due at the next VISTA 5 meeting (May 12). Balance is due in July.
- Please make your checks payable to: Girl Scouts VISTA 5.
Girl Scouts Forever Green Festival!
- Saturday, June 5, 2010
- Allstate Arena, 6920 Mannheim Rd., Rosemont
- Outdoor festival opens at 3:30 pm; Sky game tips off at 7:00 pm
- Cost: $20
- Click here [www.girlscoutsgcnwi.org/about-our-council/upcoming-council-events/chicago-sky/] for complete details of this event.
Spring Registration -- Joyce M. (Morton Grove)
- Spring Registration starts May 1st.
- Early Registration Packets were distributed at the April VISTA 5 meeting. (Skokie/Lincolnwood leaders: please contact Susie S. for your packet)
- Each troop is responsible for inputting their own information in the E COUNCIL Database. If you have forgotten your password, please contact your Community Registration Manager. Or if you need to download a waiver, please click here.
- Registration processing checklist (instructions) is on the front of the envelope.
- Included in the packet are pre-printed registration forms, Product Program Permission forms (this form replaces the individual permission slips for product activities and stays with the leader), Dues Summary form (new version), and deposit slips.
- Spring/Summer 2010 Training Calendar was also included in the envelope.
- Forms should be completed and submitted to your Community Registration Managers: Joyce M. (Morton Grove/Niles), Jennifer M. (Park Ridge), and Susie S. (Skokie/Lincolnwood) by June 4, 2010. Please do NOT submit forms directly to council. If you bypass your Community Registration Manager we do not know that you exist.
- Joyce gave a very inspirational presentation about this campaign that reaches out to Girl Scout families. Leaders: please encourage familes in your troop to donate to the Family Partnership campaign.
- Family Partnership gifts stay in our local council.
- Our goal is 100% family participation. The recommended gift is $25.
Finance Report -- Carolynn C. (Park Ridge)
- Financial reports are due mid-June. They are available on-line under Forms [www.girlscoutsgcnwi.org/just-for-volunteers/forms/] at www.girlscoutsgcnwi.org. Start filling them out now.
- Please complete these forms and submit them to your school organizer (Park Ridge and Niles/Morton Grove). Park Ridge school organizers should submit forms to Sue S.; Niles/Morton Grove school organizers should submit to Michael M.; Skokie/Lincolnwood leaders should submit their forms to Susie S.
- All of these forms get forwarded to council.
- Please give a specific explanation if there is an excess of funds (over $1,000).
- If your troop will be disbanding this year, please complete the Disbanded Troop form. Click here to access the form. Close out all troop accounts. If you have remaining funds, make a donation to another Girl Scout troop, use them for a big end-of-the-year event (play, dinner, etc.), donate to a local charity, etc. Submit this form with your financial report.
- Troop checking accounts: This is a good time to review the volunteers who are signors on your account. Make sure they are still involved in your troop; they should be registered; 2 are required, but 3 are better. Consider adding your school organizer or Community Manager.
Girl Scout Sunday
- Sunday, April 25, 2010
- 9:00 am Mass at St. Paul of the Cross Church, Park Ridge
- Girls must be in uniform, and in the lower church by 8:45 am. We process in at 8:55 am.
- Following the mass, all are invited to the Girl Scout Breakfast (girls with their moms, grandmothers, aunts or female family friend) at The White Eagle, 6845 Milwaukee Ave., Niles
- Cost is $11 per child, $16 per adult
- Reservations are required.
- Please contact Sue S. (VISTA 5 Manager) if you are interested.
2010 Summer Camp
- 2010 Summer Camp Guides are now available.
- Camping options include Journey World, resident camping and day camps.
- There are many options for girls of all levels from Daisies to Ambassadors.
- Resident camp open houses are May 2 at Camp Juniper Knoll, East Troy, WI; May 16 at Pokanoka, Ottawa, IL; and May 23 at Butternut Springs, Valparaiso, IN.
- Girl Scout Leader’s Day
Thanks for coming to our VISTA 5 meeting!