Lincolnwood, Morton Grove, Niles, Park Ridge, Skokie
VISTA Meeting Detail
VISTA 5 Meeting
Wednesday, September 10, 2008 - 7:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m.
St. John Brebeuf Ministry Center, 8301 Harlem Avenue, Niles, Illinois
Welcome Back to our Third VISTA Year!
- Sign-in sheets on tables
- Introduction of Cabinet Members--Ambassadors and Community Partners
- VISTA 5 Manager--VACANT!
- Finance Manager--Carolynn C. (Park Ridge)
- Registration--Laura K. (Park Ridge)
- Fall Product--Sue S. (Park Ridge) and Chris W. (Park Ridge)
- Cookie Sales--VACANT!
- Internal Communications--Michele H. (Skokie)
- Learning Opportunities (and Trip Applications)--Sue S. (Park Ridge)
- Adult Recognitions & Awards--Margaret T. (Park Ridge)
- Public Relations--Judie E. (Niles)
- All of the Ambassadors can be contacted through our VISTA 5 web site under Contact Information, or by clicking on www.ilcrossroads.org/vistas/5/contact/
- VACANT POSITIONS: Ambassadors (VISTA Level)--VISTA 5 Manager, Cookie Program, Girl Membership, Adult Recruitment, Family Involvement, and Girl Recruitment
- Descriptions for these positions are found under VISTA Volunteers or by clicking on www.ilcrossroads.org/vistas/5/volunteers/
- Council Staff Liaison is Sara Nam.
- All meetings will be held on the 2nd Wednesday of the month
- St. John Brebeuf Ministry Center, 8301 Harlem Avenue, Niles
- 7:00 p.m.
- Our apologies for the October and April meeting dates which conflict with religious holidays.
Web Site (Council and VISTA 5)
- On July 1, 2008, our local council became Girl Scouts of Greater Chicago and Northwest Indiana.
- The new address is www.girlscoutsgcnwi.org (The old address www.ilcrossroads.org is still available, however this will probably change in the future).
- The facility in Vernon Hills is now known as Vernon Hills Regional Service Center.
The VISTA 5 website is available through our council website under the VISTAs pull down menu.
- It is user-friendly and will have ALL information included for VISTA 5 including meeting dates and agendas, calendars, events, resources, and photos.
- All information to be input on the website should be given to Michele H. (Skokie), Internal Communications Ambassador
- All of the meeting dates for the entire year are posted. Meeting minutes will typically be posted within a week following the meeting.
- If you have an Event you would like posted, please e-mail Michele the information and any flyers that need to be attached. Flyers should be created in Microsoft Word, not sent as PDFs.
- Please refrain from using personal information, including last names, home addresses, personal phone numbers and e-mail addresses (per Council’s instructions). Information will be edited, as needed.
- A web-based e-mail address (from www.GoDaddy.com) is available to any Event Coordinator, and will be assigned as needed.
- Please submit a photo of your troop doing an activity to be posted on our VISTA 5 web site. (Check each girls’ registration form first to be sure their picture can be posted!)
- The Lock-Up is located at 720 Busse Highway, Park Ridge (just East of Dee Road), 847-318-9700
- The Lock-Up contains materials that can be used at meetings, etc. These are great programming ideas and most materials necessary to do these programs are included in the program boxes.
- A list of items available (including flags and program boxes) can be downloaded by clicking here: www.ilcrossroads.org/vistas/5/resources/equipment/ (Leader Resources => Program Equipment/Library Materials List)
- Please e-mail Noreen H. (Park Ridge) at V5_Equipment@gsvista.org to coordinate the borrowing of materials from the storage closet. Noreen’s personal e-mail address may also be found on the VISTA 5 roster.
- Training is available in three ways:
- 1. On-line through our council web site (Note: please be sure to press the Congratulations! button at the end of the training to insure that you are credited for completing the course.)
- 2. Self-study (Note: complete the last page of the booklet and send it to council for credit)
- 3. Classroom training (where you will be issued a green card to record your completed training classes)
- Various classroom trainings are available at the Vernon Hills Regional Service Center (please check the council web site for available schedule)
- Local training in our community can be made available. A minimum of seven people per class is needed to plan these classes.
- New leaders are required to take a New Leader Orientation, as well as Basic Leadership Training per level (i.e. if you are going to be a Brownie leader, you need to take the Basic Leadership Training for Brownies). New leaders also need to complete the forms for a background check and references. Please submit these forms to your Community Partner (Sue S. (Park Ridge), Michael M. (Niles/Morton Grove), Susie S. (Skokie/Lincolnwood)
- The Daisy program is now a two-year program. Training is available on Sept. 27th from 9:00 am - 12 Noon at the Vernon Hills Regional Service Center. You can register at council or contact Sue S. (Park Ridge) for more information.
- If you plan on taking your troop to a location that is NOT your normal meeting location, you do need to have Girls on the Move training, and Camp Craft if you plan on going camping.
- Every troop should have a First Aid/CPR trained adult. Check your local Fire Department to see if they offer classes.
- TRIP APPLICATIONS: If you plan on taking your troop on an outing, trip applications should be completed and turned in to your Community Partner at least two weeks prior to your event, one month if it’s an overnighter.
REGISTRATION--Laura K. (Park Ridge)
- Registration deadline is October 3, 2008.
- Please submit a waiver in order to received your password for the E COUNCIL Membership Database.
- You must register your troop’s Fall Product and Cookie Coordinator.
- Leaders should retain a copy of girls’ registration forms who cannot have their photos used.
- Medical forms are valid for up to three years. Have parents re-sign the cards.
- The new Panorama (also known as the Resource Directory), Starter kits for new troop leaders, and registration forms were available at the meeting. Please contact Laura or your Community Partner for these supplies.
FALL PRODUCT SALE--Sue S. (Park Ridge) and Chris W. (Park Ridge)
- Community Partners are: Joyce M. (Niles/Morton Grove) and Susie S. (Skokie/Lincolnwood)
- Order-taking begins October 10, 2008.
- Daisies can sell!!!
- Training was immediately following the September VISTA 5 meeting
- Encourage your troops to participate. Troops earn 15% of what they sell. If your troop does not need the money, use it as a Service Project. Look for a postcard in the mail encouraging you to do so.
- We will be selling magazines and nut/candy products again this year.
- New products are available, old favorites have returned.
- All necessary information is now available on a CD (for PC and Mac).
- Ordering will be done on-line. Magazines can be sold on-line, as well.
- A minimum of 12 food items is all you need to participate. They do not have to be full cases, so mix it up!
FINANCE REPORT--Carolyn C. (Park Ridge)
- This position will be available next year (2009-10). If you are interested, please contact Carolyn. She would like to start training someone by January.
- If you haven’t already, please submit your troop’s Financial Report. Forms are available on-line.
- If your troop is disbanding, please fill out the appropriate form. Do NOT just leave your account at the bank!
- New checking account information is available in the Panorama (Troop Management and Safety section). Ongoing troops do not need to change the (council) name on your account. You do need to have 3 signors.
INTERNAL COMMUNICATIONS--Michele H. (Skokie)
- Please see notes above: 3. Web Site (Council and VISTA 5)
VISTA 5/Community Events
New Leader Investiture
Wednesday, October 8, 2008 (our VISTA 5 meeting)
Please volunteer your troop to perform the flag ceremony and create a short ceremony to welcome new leaders. New leaders will receive their pins at this ceremony.
Caroling Party--Sue S. (Park Ridge)
Friday, November 28, 2008 (day after Thanksgiving)
Thinking Day--Sandy H. (Park Ridge)
Saturday, February 21, 2009 at 9:00 am - 12 Noon
Emerson School, Park Ridge
Sandy is looking for volunteers to form a committee. Please contact her if you are interested.
Brownie Day--Please volunteer to be the coordinator!
This is a great event for the older girls to participate in leadership roles.
Older Girl Event--Please volunteer to be the coordinator!
This event is geared towards 6th graders and older.
Leader/Daughter Event--Please volunteer to be the coordinator!
This event can be anything you want it to be!
Thank You Recognition Evening--Please volunteer to be the coordinator!
Wednesday, May 13, 2009 (our last VISTA 5 meeting)
- Council News
- All troop numbers are going to change to 5 numbers. All troop numbers will now start with the number 4, followed by 0 (one or more), followed by your existing troop number. For example, troop 805 will now be 40805. You do not have to change your uniforms. This is mainly for paperwork.
- Silver and Gold Award requirements have not changed.
- VISTA Cabinet Kick-Off is Saturday, September 20, 2008 from 9:30 am - 2:30 pm at the Vernon Hills Regional Service Center. Check the council web site In The Spotlight to register.
- Fit To Be ME! Saturdays: Click here to download the flier.
- STEM Saturdays: Click here to download the flier.
- Girl Scout Brownie STEM Sampler: Click here to download the flier.
- Win-Win: How to Get What You Want (a new Junior patch program): click here [www.gswpa.org/girls/programs/win-win-patch-program/] to view the web site.
- VISTA 5
- Are we still collecting can goods for a local food pantry as a VISTA 5 Service Project? The vote was YES! Please bring a canned good with you to each VISTA 5 meeting and earn a Daisy Dollar. We need a coordinator.
- Camp Anokijig recap by Nancy F. (Morton Grove)
- 227 campers from 16 troops attended this year’s camp out. 75 spots were still available in the tents. Please think about joining us next year. This is a great event.
- Michael M. will have patches available at the October or November VISTA 5 meeting.
- Refunds will also be available in October or November for those who could not make the event.
- Council News
Next Meeting of the full VISTA
Wednesday, October 8, 2008 at 7:00 p.m.
St. John Brebeuf Ministry Center