Following are notes from our September Community meeting.
Dan Callen has volunteered to be our Finance Partner this year....Thank You Dan! You can find his contact information in the workbook on the Roster sheet. All troops should have bank accounts. For the new year, make it easy on yourselves: write on each deposit slip what the amounts were for and attach them to the bank statement. At the end of the year, your Finance Report will be a slam dunk. For those who STILL have not turned in their Finance Reports from last school year, don't think you're off the hook! Please do turn them in to Dan. If you don't have one, here's the link, and there's one attached. No more excuses!
Please note on the Activities sheet, that several of our events NEED a co-chair...please volunteer, in ways big or small, to help the leaders who have volunteered thus far. Participation from all of us make the Scouting experience that much better for all our girls. I don't have the time to call each of you and ask if you are willing, so please call me and we will find something to fit your availability and talents. We NEED volunteers for:
Daddy Daughter Dance - a co-chair and specific task volunteers
Winter Event - a co-chair
The patches for early registration should be available at the October Leader's Meeting.
Sign up for Holiday Baskets is due to Mary Scudella by October 1!
New Leader Training is available with Vicki Repsholdt. Please give her a call to participate. She has a huge amount of experience and information to share!
If you did not attend the VISTA meeting you did not receive your new Volunteer Essentials Handbook OR new Council Training Calendar OR new Activity Insurance brochure. We are limited to one per troop so far. Rumor has it (and Kiesha is confirming) that the Volunteer Essentials Handbook is replacing SafetyWise so you NEED THIS HANDBOOK (and its much smaller)! Please contact me to arrange pickup - I still have these for 14 troops.
I also have tax letters (for tax free purchase of troop supplies) dated August 22, 2008, if you don't yet have one.
The location of the storage locker has not changed yet, but we are trying to bring back a library at the Service Center. If you need flags, reference materials, program boxes, etc, its all in the storage locker.
From the VISTA meeting:
- The Council web site is a work in progress. The Council is working with Leo Burnett to create an effective, user firendly site. You can still check out our VISTA site for meeting dates and activity information in the meantime: http://www.ilcrossroads.org/
- We are hoping to reformat the VISTA portion of the meeting to be what YOU need, so we need your input. Do you want sharing sessions, training sessions, what? Let me know.
- Several 'best practices' were shared:
- Get parents involved from the beginning - as alternating meeting coordinators, as activity planners, as snack providers, as cookie parent, as fall sale parent, as registration coordinator, get them all registered too in case you need drivers for activities.
- Use a limited deck of cards that has pairs to randomly group girls in the troop for activities. Get them to share info about themselves so they get to know each other.
- The next VISTA meeting will also have a Craft and Supply Sale/Swap - bring the stuff your girls have 'outgrown' and take home new activities and ideas!
- Don't forget to contact Nina Ferolo to join the caroling portion of the Hawthorn Winter Botique!
Our next meeting is Tuesday, October 13.
This year will again have many changes, and with your participation we will make it a great one for our girls!