Fremont School, Hawthorn School District, Libertyville, Mundelein, Vernon Hills
VISTA Meeting Detail
VISTA Leader Meeting
Monday, March 12, 2007 - 7 pm
Hawthorn Townline Cafe
- Ice Skating wrap-up – Kim Hansen.
- Cookie Sale Update & Operation Homefront – Carol Gregersen.
- Friendship Fair wrap-up – Jill Pokorny.
- Coco Key – Leslie Bauer.
- Spring Registration – Carol Gregersen (A HUGE thank you to Carol for taking over from Kim Hansen as Registration Partner!)
- May Service Event - May 19th 8a.m. - 1 p.m., AMAYzing Mundelein, Lee Fischer and Shari Rivi will be coordinating this event. They won’t order patches, but will coordinate through police dept. and give them a listing of troops & # of girls who would like to participate.
- Bridging and Awards, Wed. May 30 at 7 pm. – Lesley Bauer and Nancy Campbell. We have heard from some troops, but possibly not all. Please sign up tonight if your troop is participating in the community Bridging Ceremony. Also, we need to know if you will be presenting any Bronze, Silver or Gold Awards at this event.
- 2007 Community Parades – Memorial Day and Mundelein Community Days (Sunday, July 1, 2007).
- Leader/Daughter Event – Jennifer Lukas
- 2007/2008 Community Partners for Fremont/Mundelein.
- Share Information/Ideas
Thanks for coming! Our next meeting will be on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 (not sure why it’s on a Tuesday, I’ll reconfirm tonight).
Monday, March 12, 2007 - 7 pm
Hawthorn Townline Cafe
VISTA MEETING MINUTES
Monday, March 12, 2007
Chicago Area Girl Scout Council Merger
Seven Girl Scout councils currently serving the Indiana counties of Jasper, Lake, Newton, and Porter; and the Illinois counties of Cook, DuPage, Grundy, Kankakee, Lake, and Will, are in the process of aligning their services into one council within the Metropolitan Chicago (Illinois and Indiana) area by October 1, 2007.
The NEW Girl Scout Council Name: Girl Scouts of Greater Chicago and Northwest Indiana. This name has been chosen because it clearly identifies and is inclusive of the region to be served…seven Girl Scout councils will join together as one.
The seven legacy councils included in our realignment are:
Girl Scouts of the Calumet Council, Inc.
Girl Scouts of Chicago
Drifting Dunes Girl Scout Council, Inc.
Girl Scouts – Illinois Crossroads, Inc.
Girl Scouts – Prairie Winds, Inc.
Girl Scouts of South Cook County, Inc.
Girl Scouts of Trailways Council, Inc.
The Hub will remain as a council facility, however its specific purpose has not yet been determined. Most likely the store will remain.
For more information, please visit www.gsmetrochicago.org.
Annual Corporate Meeting
· Held Saturday, February 24, 2007 at the Westin North Shore in Wheeling.
· Jana and Melina represented VISTA 15.
· Recognition Awardees from VISTA 15
· Excellence Awards-Cookie Program Teams
The Excellence Award recognizes superior service, performance and/or quality in an individual or group associated with Girl Scouting, and to call attention to that which demonstrates responsiveness to community need.
· Jana Durham Libertyville
· Heidi Erchinger Vernon Hills
· Carol Gregersen Mundelein
· Michelle Knollenberg Libertyville
· Julie Lefebvre Grayslake
· Laura Mellon Mundelein
· Barb Whalen Libertyville
The new Leadership Development Program was unveiled. Changes will take place in Fall 2008. Information on the Program is available at the IL Crossroads web site under “”Girl Scout Council Realignment News.”
Happy Hollow Update
The Happy Hollow facility is potentially up for sale. The Council legal team is look at the feasibility of this. Please note that with the combining of Councils into the Greater Chicago and Northern Indiana Council, any more facilities will be available for our use.
Girl Scout Survey
· Girl Scouts wants to know what you think.
· Go to our VISTA 15 Website at www.ilcrossroads.org.
· Survey ends March 31, 2007.
· Spring Registration information will be available for pick-up at the VISTA Meeting on Tuesday 4/10/07. Each troop should have a representative at this meeting to pick up their troop Spring Registration Packet. Contact your community Registration Partner if you have questions.
· Join the Fun! 2007 Cookie Program Winners:
· Congratulations to Emily N. who is the Top Girl Scout Achiever for VISTA 15. She sold 748 boxes of cookies and won an Apple iPod with a docking station!
· Congratulations to Alexa S. whose name was drawn from VISTA 15. She won an Apple iPod!
· Congratulations to Libertyville Brownie Troop #2401. They sold 201 cases of cookies (the most in our VISTA 15) and won a $50 Girl Scout – Illinois Crossroads Council Shop Gift Certificate!
The Council home page has a connection point for site sale dates. Click on ’In The
Spotlight: Girl Scout Cookies Are Back’, click on ’our handy Site Activity document’ half way
down the page. Or use the link below:
VISTA Juliettes Girl Scout Coordinator
· WE ARE LOOKING FOR A VISTA JULIETTE GIRL SCOUT COORDINATOR.
· Coordinate Girl Scouts who register as individual Juliettes members and help them to pursue their interests in the Girl Scout Program on their own.
· Notify Juliettes Girl Scouts of program opportunities, VISTA and Council events.
· Ensure that Juliettes Girl Scouts are included in Council Product Sales.
In the fall, if your troop has bridged up to the next level of scouting, please bring your ’old’ leader and scout books to pass on. In light of the upcoming program changes and announcement to update materials, this ’donation’ would be very much appreciated.
· Both VISTA and Community Information can be found at our Vista 15 website @ www.ilcrossroads.org/vistas/15/.
· Direct questions to our Webmaster, Eden
EVENTS / OPPORTUNITIES
Northern Illinois Food Bank
The Northern Illinois Food Bank is looking for youth to assist during spring break; it’s a great way to gain service hours and open young eyes to the needs of the community. For middle schoolers and up, the Lake County Branch will holds Kid's Day during the following dates/times:
March 24, 9-12
March 26, 12-3
March 29, 9-12 and 1-4
April 2, 12-3
April 5, 9-12 and 1-4
Groups and individuals are welcome. Youth in middle school must be accompanied by 1 adult for every 5 youth, and for youth ages 14-18 the requirement is 1 adult for every 10 youth.
Leader Enrichment Overnight (LEO)
· April 20-22, 2007
· Wonderland Camp and Conference Center, Camp Lake, WI.
· Girl Scout Leaders are invited for a weekend getaway filled with enrichment activities and program ideas.
· Go to www.ilcrossroads.org for more information.
· Fee is $92.00 for the full weekend and $52.00 for Saturday only.
· May 5-6, 2007
· Camp Timberlee; East Troy, Wisconsin.
· Activities will be available on a first come-first-serve basis.
· DEADLINE: Full payment due no later than Friday, April 7, 2007. Please note, this is before the next VISTA meeting!
· Direct questions to Lisa McCauley
There are 475 registered campers. The activities are filling up fast so please register your
girls choices - participation in activities is first come, first served. There is only room for 18
tent sites so if your troop wants tent camping, please also register quickly for that.
Girl Scout Day at Great America
· Saturday, May 12, 2007 OR Saturday, June 2, 2007. Tickets can be used for either day.
· Admission tickets ($27) and “All–you-can-eat” Picnic Tickets ($10) available for purchase. The picnic tickets are available for only one of the days – you must choose in advance.
· Girl Scouts and their families are invited.
· Patches available.
· Nicki S. is the Event Coordinator for the VISTA. She will handle registration for the VISTA.
· Thursday, July 12, 2007.
· 7:05 game (5:45pm gates open; 6:00pm Parade Line up)
· Special gift for Girl Scouts in uniform.
· Patch available.
· Families welcome.
· Book a Scout Party at Build-A-Bear Workshop and get a free collectable patch for each scout and their furry friend.
· Service project parties also available.
· Contact your local store, call toll free 1-877-789-BEAR (2327) or go to www.buildabear.com.
- Hawthorn Junior Girl Scout Troop #3773 is coordinating a book drive. All new and used books will be given to those in need. Adult and children’s books are welcome. Spanish and Braille books are accepted too! Books on tape are good for those who are unable to read.
- Book drop off From March 9 to April 22
- Please call before you drop off the books. Thank you! This is a service project to help Troop 3773 earn their Bronze Award!
- Contact Valerie Parker for details.